Monday, February 8, 2016

Detroit Teachers

There has been talk about a crisis going on in Flint, Michigan about issues with the water not being clean and safe for residents. I know personally, I have visited Michigan and have seen Detroit and it is is clear that the living conditions they face are very different from what I experience here in Texas. I came across this article about Teachers actually boycotting their schools due to problems with the working conditions and the concerns they have about the well-being of the students they are trying to teach. You can read all about it right here The Christian Science Monitor. It is upsetting to me how the Mayor isn't really taking ownership over these issues or at least trying to fix them. Instead he is basically saying to these teachers to get back to work. Well, that is impossible when you don't have the right tools and at least the bare minimum to foster a functioning area for students to learn and grow. It is just baffling to me because, well I work for a daycare. And the amount of state regulations we have to follow is astounding. It varies from ratio of children to teacher all the way up to how food and snack is handled. I just don't understand how these teachers are being almost talked down for not being at work and preventing children from learning when there are rodents running around in the school among the other problems. At what point does this get national attention? At what point does the federal government get pulled in to fix these issues. I mean the bare minimum of education for grades 12 and under should at least be guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment